In cases involving divorce, unmarried parents, or other family variables, issues involving children often arise. Issues such as custody, child support, and paternity may require the parents to define the parent/child relationship.

SAPCRFort Worth SAPCR Cases

To address these issues, you’ll need a court order to establish the rights and obligations of each parent. In Texas, parents establish this order through a lawsuit entitled a “Suit Affecting the Parent/Child Relationship” (SAPCR). The suit must be filed in an appropriate court with jurisdiction. If a divorce case is filed and the parties have children, the case will automatically include a SAPCR. However, in cases where parents were never married, one parent may file the SAPCR. If paternity is not known or established, a presumed or alleged father may officially establish his paternity. Then, the SAPCR action can proceed in the court.

The court will sign an order outlining custody, visitation, child support, and all other issues relating to a child’s needs. In all cases involving children, the court decides matters based on the best interests of the child.

For more information about the SAPCR, including when and how to file, click here.

Suit to Modify Parent-Child Relationship

The court that rules in a SAPCR case has exclusive jurisdiction over the matter. This means that any future suit to modify the SAPCR must be filed in the same court. Parents commonly seek a modification to address the changing needs of the child or parents in areas such as child support and child custody. Parents moving to another county or another state can cause further complications in these cases.

If you need assistance defining a parent-child relationship, contact our Dallas/Fort Worth family law attorneys at (817) 887-9158 for a free case evaluation. We are results-oriented and experienced family law attorneys.